Bata India is a footwear manufacturing company incorporated in 1931. The company was earlier known as Bata Shoe Company, later in 1973 the name was changed to the present one.
The company manufactures footwear for men, women and children. The Company manufactures shoes of various quality such as leather, rubber, canvas and PVC shoes.
Bata Group has worldwide presence across 5 continents, serving 1 million customers per day and operating 4,600 retail stores globally.
Prior to incorporation of Bata footwear were manufactured by handicrafts and small enterprise sectors. The company started with its small operation unit located at Konnagar (near Calcutta) in 1932.
Currently it has five factories located at Batanagar, (West Bengal), Bataganj, (Bihar), Faridabad (Haryana), Peenya (Karnataka) and Hosur (Tamil Nadu).
Today the company is the largest shoe company in India in terms of sales and revenues. It commands around 35 percent of market share in India. Company’s 98 percent revenue comes from domestic operation. It owns 1250 stores spread across India.
BIL’ manufacturing unit became first Indian shoe company to receive the ISO: 9001 certification. The company currently sells over 45 million pairs of shoes every year and has an annual sales turnover of more than Rs 8000 million (USD 178 million).
Currently the company owns brands like Hush Puppies, Dr Scholls, North Star, Power, Marie Claire, Bubblegummers, Ambassador, Comfit and Wind.
2010 - Bata India Ltd won the 'Consumer Awards 2010' as 'India's Most Preferred Retailer' given by CNBC Awaaz.
• Awarded Amity Corporate Excellence Award - 2009 in a ceremony held in Amity Business School, NOIDA on February 27th 2009. Bata received the award for the third time.
• Business Week lists Bata India in list of “The world’s 25 Unsung Innovative Companies” in its May 2009 issue. The report was compiled by Boston Consulting Group, Business Week’s partner in Annual Most Innovative Companies Special.
• Awarded Outstanding Sales performance for Year 2008 for Hush Puppies by Wolverine Group- Announced in May 2009 in Michigan
• Brand Equity recognized Bata in the TOP 50 Most Trusted Brands in June 2009. Bata is the only lifestyle retailer in the top 50 brands.
• Bata India awarded the prestigious Images award of the year for the Most Admired Retailer of the Year – Fashion & Lifestyle in Mumbai on September 16, 2009.Other nominees in the category were Levis, Benetton, Wills Lifestyle, Bata, Louis Phillipe and Titan
• Bata India awarded the Most Admired Footwear Brand by Images Fashion Forum in 2009, the ceremony was held in Mumbai on January 28, 2009
• Bata India received the Amity HR Excellence Award for Corporate Ethics on 28th August 2009 in a ceremony held at Amity Business School, NOIDA.
• Bata India is selected as a POWERBRAND in the POWERBRANDS 2010. The selection is done after an extensive pan India research conducted by Indian Council for Marketing Research to select The Most Powerful Brands in India in the year 2009.