DQ Entertainment (International) was incorporated as “Animation and Multimedia Private Limited” on April 13, 2007. The name of the company was changed to “DQ Entertainment (International) Private Limited” by a special resolution of the members passed at an EGM held on January 10, 2008. The fresh certificate of incorporation consequent to the change of name was granted to the company on January 17, 2008 by the Registrar of Companies, Andhra Pradesh at Hyderabad. Subsequent to the Scheme of Amalgamation sanctioned by the Andhra Pradesh High Court, the name of the company was changed to “DQ Entertainment (International) Limited”. Subsequently, pursuant to a special resolution of the members passed at an EGM on July 25, 2009, the company became a public limited company. A fresh certificate of incorporation consequent to conversion of company from private to public was granted on September 10, 2009 by the Registrar of Companies, Andhra Pradesh at Hyderabad. Tapaas Chakravarti had earlier promoted DQ Entertainment Limited, which was engaged in the development of animation production services.
The company is one of the leading producers of animation, visual effects, game art and entertainment content for the Indian as well as global media and entertainment industry. It is a producer, co-producer and global distributor of TV series, direct-to-home videos and feature films. The company is also a creator of game art for online, mobile and next-generation consoles. It has forayed into production and distribution of live action television and feature films. It has an asset base of over 350 hours of animation content from which they can earn revenues through licensing and distribution activities.
Subsequent to the Scheme of Amalgamation, DQ Entertainment has continued to strengthen the business of the erstwhile DQ Entertainment Limited and also forayed into development of its own IP in 2009. It launched its first homegrown 3D CGI television series “The Jungle Book” based on the Rudyard Kipling's novel as well as three special TV features “Balkand”, “Omkar” and “Ravan” based on Indian mythology for India and the Indian diaspora across the globe.
• 2000 - Established an in-house training centre to train production staff to deliver animation productions to European and North American clients.
• 2002 - Established a traditional 2D animation studio.
• 2003-2004 - Established 2D digital pipeline and started securing commissions to produce full animation series.
• 2004 - Established 3D animation production process and the first commercial 3D animation project was a French TV series “Les Gnoufs” for Method Animation SAS, France
• 2007 - Began engagement in game assets development
- Scheme of Amalgamation sanctioned by the Andhra Pradesh High Court
- The company entered into the Scheme of Amalgamation pursuant to which the erstwhile DQ Entertainment Limited was amalgamated with the company.
• 2008 - Co-production agreement of Little Nick signed
- Co-production agreement of Large Family signed
- Broadcast agreement with Turner Entertainment Networks Asia, Hong Kong (TENA) for own IP content, i.e., Balkand and Ravan Service production agreement with Nickelodeon for production of Fanboy & Chum Chum and Madagascar: The Penguins
- Set up subsidiary in Ireland by name DQ Entertainment (Ireland) Limited
- Broadcast agreement with Walt Disney Television International India for Twisted Whiskers, Ratman and Sandra
- Issued ISO 9001:2000 “Quality Management System Standard” certification by Det Norske Veritas
• 2009 - Launch of own international IP – The Jungle Book
- Co-production agreement of Little Prince signed
- Broadcast agreement with Turner Entertainment Networks Asia, Hong Kong (TENA) for own IP content, i.e., Omkar
- Co-production agreement of The Jungle Book signed with Moonscoop France
- Broadcast agreement with Turner Entertainment Networks Asia, Hong Kong (TENA) for Ironman
- Co-production agreement of Tara Duncan signed with Moonscoop France
- Conversion of the company from private to public status
- Broadcast agreement with Viacom 18 for Casper
- Agreement with Gaumont-Alphanim, France for co-production of Galactic Football Season 3, a TV series
- Agreement with ABC Television, Australia for free-to-air TV broadcasting of The Jungle Book
- Won Movers & Shakers Award 2009
• 2010 - Launch of Charlie Chaplin, animated TV series2011 -DQE and Method Animation launch animated version of Robin Hood• 2012 - DQ Entertainment entered into promotional partnership deal with Burger King Worldwide for the Company's own intellectual property 'The Jungle Book'.Entertainment inks exclusive licensing deal with Australian Broadcasting Corp
1. Service Divisions:
The company has developed the flexibility to produce different styles of animation including traditional 2D animation; digital and technology based 2D digital and 3D animation. It has expanded the product offering across various methodologies of animation, VFX, game art, porting and testing, as well as licensing and merchandising, IP creation and new media. Each business division is committed to delivering their objectives through product and service portfolio that is coherent with international trends and market needs.
2. Global IP Division:
The focus of GIPD is to develop IPs, either on its own or through joint-participation with other animation production companies. The company would want to produce and distribute the IPs in the Indian and Asian markets as also to the Indian Diasporas across the globe.
3. Licensing and Distribution:
The company is currently engaged in certain international productions such as The Jungle Book, Tara Duncan, Iron Man, Little Nick, Casper, Pinky & Perky, Twisted Whiskers, etc. Such international productions as well as several of its previous co-productions have enabled DQ Entertainment's L&D division to create a library of over 350 hours of international animated programs for revenue exploitation.
DQ Entertainment (Ireland)
The company has a wholly owned subsidiary, DQ Entertainment (Ireland) which is incorporated in Ireland. DQ Ireland was incorporated under the Companies Acts 1963-2006 on November 12, 2008 with the registration number 4643371. DQ Ireland is engaged in the business of content development for animation and live action for TV series, movies and various other media.
• Aardman Animation
• The Moonscoop Group
• Porchlight Entertainment
• Crest Animation Studios
• Toonz Animation India
• Compact Disc India
• UTV Software Communications
• Balaji Telefilms, etc
Awards and achievements:
• 2012 - DQE receives "International studio of the year" award and "Best Animated TV Series"
• 2011 - DQE receives top state honour's 'DQE conferred with Excellence Award'
• FICCI BAF 2008 - Tapaas Chakravarti, CMD & CEO of DQ Entertainment, was bestowed with a special award at the 2008 FICCI BAF for his contribution to the Indian Animation Industry.
• Deloitte Technology Fast 500 - Asia Pacific 2007 - DQE was ranked 416 in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2007 Program. This is second consecutive year that DQE was ranked in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific companies.
• Gemini Awards, Canada – Skyland - Tapaas Chakravarti, Executive Producer from DQ Entertainment was bestowed with two awards for Skyland at the 22nd Gemini Awards. Skyland a TV series co produced with Method Films and 9 Story Entertainment won in two categories - Best Animated Program or Series and Best Original Score.
• The Accolade Film Award - Donkey Ollie - Tapaas Chakravarti, Executive Producer, from DQ Entertainment, won The Accolade Honorable Mention Award for 'Shipwrecked'.Shipwrecked Adventures of Donkey Ollie is a full length (77') animated CGI Feature, co produced with Car Angels.
• Redemptive Film Festival, Virginia, USA - Donkey Ollie - Tapaas Chakravarti, Executive Producer from DQ Entertainment won the prestigious Redemptive Film Festival Award in the Professional Film category for 'Shipwrecked'. Shipwrecked Adventures of Donkey Ollie is a full length (77') animated CGI Feature, co produced with Car Angels.
• EMMY 2007 - Tutenstein - Tapaas Chakravarti, Executive Producer, from DQ Entertainment, won the 2007-Day Time Emmy in the Outstanding Special Class Animated Program for the second season of Television Series, 'Tutenstein' Co-produced with Porchlight Entertainment, USA for DSC Kids, USA. First ever in India for an Emmy award. First Season had previously won an EMMY in 2005 too.
• EMMY 2007 - ToddWorld - Tapaas Chakravarti, Executive Producer, from DQ Entertainment, India was nominated for the Todd World TV series co-produced with Mike Young, Bill Schultz and Elizabeth Young from Mike Young Productions, USA for Discovery Kids for the 2007 Day Time Emmy Awards.
• EMMY 2007 - Curious George - Curious George was nominated in Day Time EMMY 2007.
• BAF 2007 AWARDS: BEST VFX in an EPISODE - Skyland, the futurestic TV series co-produced with Method Films SA, France by Tapaas Chakravarti as Executive Producer, won the 2007 BAF award, FRAMES, FICCI for best VFX in TV series category. DQ was positioned 391st in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2006 Program and 42nd in the Technology Fast 50 India 2006 program'. Tapaas Chakravarti, lifted the coveted award from Deloitte Technology Fast company award 2006, wherein DQ Entertainment was placed 42nd in India and 391st in Asia.
• EMMY 2006 – Todd World - Tapaas Chakravarti, Executive Producer, from DQ Entertainment, was nominated for the Todd World Second Season, TV series co-produced with Mike Young, Bill Schultz and Elizabeth Young Mike Young Productions, USA for Discovery Kids for the Year 2006 Day Time Emmy Awards.
• BAF 2006 AWARDS: BEST ANIMATED FILM - Choose Your Own Adventure - Tapaas Chakravarti, Executive Producer, from DQ Entertainment co-produced Choose Your Own Adventure 80’ Feature with Mike Young Productions, USA for Lean Forward Media, USA, bagged the award in the category of Best Animated Film in BAF Awards, FRAMES, FICCI 2006. • THE PULICENELLA AWARD AT Cartoons on the Bay - Skyland - Skyland won the’ Best TV Animated series award for Action and Adventure' at Cartoons on the Bay, Italy PULCINELLA AWARDS 2006, co-produced with Method Films, France for Nickelodeon, USA.
• Cartoons on the Bay -2007 - PETPALS - Cartoons on the Bay - The International Festival on Television Animation has bestowed Pet Pals ( 26 x 13’) a co production with Gruppo Alcuni, with RAI subscriber jury award, under the TV Series for Infants category.
• Cartoons on the Bay -2007 – Mickey Mouse Club House - Mickey Mouse Club House, service project for Disney Group recieved the top nomination at the Cartoons on the Bay, Italy, 2007
• UNESCO Jury Award 2006 - SACHI - 'SACHI' Live Action Short Film produced by DQ Entertainment for CIAK JUNIOR Festival has won the UNESCO JURY PRIZE at Ciak Junior festival in Treviso, Italy, shared with a film from Senegal. Film 'SACHI' was awarded - during the Festival Ciak Junior - with the prestigious ‘Gandhi Medal’ attributed from the International Jury of UNESCO.
• CIAK JR Film Festival 2007, Italy - DARK DAYS - Best Story Award “DARK DAYS” , Live Action Short Film, produced by DQ Entertainment for the CIAK JUNIOR Film festival, won the Best Story Award, UNESCO Jury Award 2007 'DARK DAYS” also won the UNESCO JURY PRIZE at Ciak Junior festival in Treviso, Italy
• International Manga and Anime Festival 2006 - Skyland - Skyland, a hi-end Science Fiction 3D series has been nominated, out of several entries for the International Manga and Anime Festival 2006, London in the Top 3 World Productions.
• EMMY – 2005 - Todd World - Tapaas Chakravarti, Executive Producer, from DQ Entertainment, was nominated for the Todd World Second Season, TV series co-produced with Mike Young, Bill Schultz and Elizabeth Young Mike Young Productions, USA for Discovery Kids for the Year 2005 Day Time Emmy Awards.
• ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR AWARD 2005 - Tapaas Chakravarti was awarded the 'Best Entrepreneur of the Year' under the auspices of All India Management Association, HMA, Hyderabad, India in the month of June 2005. This award was given in recognition of the outstanding entrepreneurship, Innovativeness and strategies, as exemplified by the high levels of growth and performance of the organization in recent years and for the exemplary standards of business and professional ethics followed by the organization. The award was handed over by Dr A Chandrasekhar, Minister for Small Scale Industries, Government of Andhra Pradesh, India.
• RED HERRING INC, Belmont, California - Tapaas Chakravarti from DQ Entertainment was awarded the Red Herring 100 Private Companies Asia 2005, among the 500 companies throughout Greater Asia. This award was bestowed after evaluating the business models, analyzing profitability forecasts, assessing management team and examining technology for companies fromall areas like: Technology ,White Goods, Software, auto parts, biotech, Publishing, Bulk drug to Research etc.
• SCREEN AWARDS New Zealand and Australia: bro’Town animated TV series - bro'Town produced by DQ Entertainment for TV-3, New Zealand, swept up two of the highest honors in Comedy Television at the inaugural New Zealand Screen Awards. The show won the coveted title of Best Animated Comedy Programme as well as Best Comedy Script for the year 2005.
• BAF 2004 AWARDS: Best Animated TV series - Out of 600 entries from Asia, Greater Asia, Canada, the top 4 TV series were nominated in BAF 2004, FRAMES, FICCI, International awards. Tapaas Chakravarti , co-producer was awarded BAF 2004, for best Animated TV Series for Delta State co-produced with Alphanim, France.
• ANNECY 2004 ANIMATION FILM FESTIVAL, France - DELTASTATE - Delta State: 26 x 22’, a futuristic Digital animation TV series again got top honors as most outstanding T.V Series co-produced with French-Canadian co-production treaty at the famous Annecy Festival, France.