Foseco India originally known as (Greaves Foseco) was promoted in March 22, 1958 as a 50:50 JV between Greaves, a Thapar group company, and Foundry Services (Holdings) (now called Foseco), a Burmah Castrol firm. The Thapars divested their stake in November 1993 giving the company its present name. Foseco UK owns 3,704,219 equity shares in FIL, amounting to 58% of the equity share capital of the latter. The remaining 42% of shares in FIL are with the public.
The company manufactures 400 different products for the metallurgical industry including the steel and foundry industries. The products are in the nature of additives and consumables and improve the physical properties and surface qualities of castings as well as reduce costs of melting, moulding and castings.
The company’s market covers integrated steel plants like Sail and Tisco, mini-mills like Mukand, Kalyani and Musco; and foundries like Ennore Foundries, Lakshmi Machine Works, etc. The company also exports its products mainly to Middle East, Far East, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Kenya, Ghana, Bangladesh, Singapore and Taiwan. In 2005, Foseco was again floated on the London Stock Exchange.
The manufacturing activities of the company are situated at Pune and Pondicherry and the registered office of the company is located at Gat No. 922/923, Sanaswadi, Taluka Shirur Pune, Maharashtra.
In 2012 Foseco India Limited became part of the Vesuvius plc following demerger of Cookson Group into Vesuvius plc & Alent plc.