In 1945, a firm named Indo Continental Trading Company was started.
The principal business of this firm was to import pharmaceutical formulations from Europe and distribute them in Western India.
However in 1947, after India became independent, the new Government in its bid to encourage indigenous manufacturing of medicines banned import of several formulations. G.R. Kare instead of being discouraged, decided to venture into manufacturing of pharmaceuticals.
Accordingly, on 23rd August 1947, a week after India's independence, a new company was founded with the intent to manufacture and sell pharmaceutical formulations.
Thus, Indo Continental Trading Company became Indoco Remedies.
As a company, Indoco remains focused on APIs & Formulations business and will be looking to expand the same, both in the domestic as well as international markets. Indoco today, has a well-built brand portfolio of 135 products in various therapeutic segments, including high growth life style segments such as Anti-Diabetics, Cardiovascular, Central Nervous System, Musculo-Skeletal, Nutrition and Dental care.
Indoco has built a visible presence across all its markets in Europe, USA, Asia, Africa, Latin America and other CIS countries. A number of its products have emerged as brand leaders in the Indian and in International markets. Indoco has made significant investments to build capabilities in API manufacturing and R & D services to enhance its visibility. As of today, the company operates in over 35 countries globally for Formulations and APIs. With approval of its Finished Dosage facilities by the US - FDA, Darmstadt – Germany, TGA Australia, MCC-South Africa and UK - MHRA, Indoco has emerged as the most suitable partner and provider of Contract Research and Manufacturing Services (CRAMS) to its customers globally. With a sizeable basket of own Dossiers in CTD format, Indoco is all set to offer the full range of services including APIs with DMFs/CoS and CTD Dossiers with supply of Finished Dosages.
Business areas of the company include:
Indoco Remedies is engaged in the manufacturing and marketing of Formulations (Finished Dosage Forms) and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) in India. Indoco has a strong international presence in the regulated and ROW (Rest of the World) markets. The Company is striving to place itself on a strong promising path by expanding its business strategically, strengthening its manufacturing facilities and enhancing capabilities across the organization. The Company is looking at various opportunities in untapped markets and association with business partners in the global markets to boost its revenues.
2010The Company has signed an agreement with Aspen Pharmacare, South Africa for supply of ophthalmic products.
• UK-MHRA approval for the Solid Oral Dosage forms at Baddi Plant.
• Export sales exceeded Rs. 1 Billion in the FY 08-09.
• Successfully faced Slovenia audit for the Sterile Facility at Goa Plant II for the Injections Area.
• IDMA Quality Excellence Awards 2008 - The Sterile Facility at Goa Plant II received the Gold Award and the Solid Dosage Forms and Externals Facility at Goa Plant I received the Silver Award.
• Partnered with a US company for manufacturing of exhibit batches to be used for Phase I trials for Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Phase II trials for Glaucoma and Phase II/III pivotal trials for Cataracts for pursuing their 'IND' (Investigational New Drug) application filed with USFDA.
• TGA (Australia) approval for the Solid Dosage, Liquid Orals and Creams & Ointments Dosage forms at GOA Plant I.
• First shipment of Diclofenac Ophthalmic solution shipped to USA against an approved ANDA.
• Successfully faced Slovenia audit for the Solid Oral Dosage forms at Baddi Plant.
• MCC (South Africa) approval for the Solid Dosage facility at GOA Plant I and for the Sterile facility at Goa Plant II.
• Joint Venture with Amneal Pharmaceuticals Inc., a US based company to develop and market ophthalmic products in the US market.
• ANVISA (Brazil) approval for the Solid Dosage facility at GOA Plant I.
• Commencement of exports to the US markets.
• Launch of Warren-Excel and Spera - two specialty marketing divisions.
• US-FDA approval for Ophthalmic facility, Plant-II in GOA.
• Contract signed for supply of 18 generic products to German Market.
• 2 ANDAs filed with USFDA.
• Commencement of liquid manufacturing facility at Baddi, Himachal Pradesh.
• New R&D Centre at Rabale, near Mumbai becomes functional.
• Solid Dosage facility at Goa Plant I re-inspected & approved by UK-MHRA.
• UK-MHRA approval for Creams & Ointments facility.
• Darmstadt-Germany approves Goa facility for Solid Dosage manufacturing.
• Acquisition of LaNOVA Chem with its brand new API manufacturing facility of international standards.
• Launch of Surge - a specialty marketing division.
• First ANDA filed on the basis of Exhibit batches manufactured in sterile facility in Goa.
• Development Contracts for injectable products signed with a US Company.
• Tablet capacity doubled by commissioning an extended facility in the existing UK-MHRA approved plant.
• Shares of the Company listed on BSE and NSE.
• First Contract for Development services with US Company.
• Karvol brand acquisition from Solvay Pharmaceuticals.
• Four Patent applications filed.
• Company jumps five ranks in two yrs in the ORG-IMS Retail Audit.
• UK-MHRA approval for the Solid Dosage facility at Plant I.
• Exports to regulated markets commence.
• First contract for Dossier Development with European company.
• Domestic Marketing makes a foray into the lifestyle segment.
• Launch of Radius - the super specialty marketing division.
• State-of-the-art sterile facility, Plant II commissioned at Verna Goa.
• New Corporate Office at Indoco House.
• Acquisition of Warren, Company makes presence in Ophthalmic & Dental Segments.
• Commencement of production in Goa Plant I.
• R&D recognized by DSIR.
Products of the company include:
1. Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients :
• Tramadol HCl• Antiallergic• Cetirizine 2HCl • Antiasthmatic• Montelukast Sodium• Salbutamol Sulphate• Salmetrerol Xenofoate• Antibacterial• Azithromycin Dihydrate• Ciprofloxacin HCl• Erythromycin Stearate • Erythromycin Estolate• Erythromycin Ethyl Succinate• Anticonvulsant• Lamotrigine• Pregabalin*• Antidepressant• Quetiapine Fumarate • Sertraline HCl• Venlafaxine HCl
2. Formulation Products :
• DOMESTIC :
Indoco - (Anti-cold, Anti-spasmodic, Anti-infective, Anti-inflammatory, Stomatologicals, Anti-fungal, Cough and Cold preparations, Cardiovascular, Multivitamins etc.)
Spade - (Anti-cold, Anti-bacterial, Analgesic, Anti-asthamic, Anti-spasmodic etc.) Surge-Radius - (Anti-hypertensives, Antidiabetic, Antibiotics, Anti-osteoporotic, Anti-platelets etc.)
Warren - (Anti- hypersensitive Toothpaste, Anti-septic Gel, Oral NSAIDs, Antibacterial Mouthwash and Gel etc.)
Warren-Excel - (Ophthalmic & ENT products)
Spera - (Antibiotics, Antiemetic & Anti-spasmodic) • INTERNATIONAL :
Regulated Markets - Oral Solid Dosages, Ophthalmics, Topicals and Liquid Orals.
Rest Of The World - Vitamin and Mineral Preparation, Ophthalmic Preparations, NSAID / Analgesic / Antipyretic Muscle Relaxant Combinations, Lipid Lowering Drugs, Haemostatics, Haaematinics, Dental Products, CNS Range, Cough & Cold Remedies, Carminatives, Aural Preparations, Alkalising agent, Antiscabicide (Topical), Antispasmodic Analgesics, Antihypertensives, Antihistamines, Anti-Fungal / Antibacterial, Antiemetics, Antidiabetics, Antibacterials, Antiamoebics, Anthelmintics, Antacids / Antiulcers, Analgesics / Antipyretics.
Divisions of the company include:
1. INDOCO : It is the main division of the Company, which is spread across India & Nepal. It is focused mainly on General Practioners (GPs), Consulting Physicians (CPs), Gynaecologists and Paediatricians with products for Antibiotics, Respiratory, Antispasmodics, Antidiabetics etc. The star brands include Cyclopam, Vepan, MCBM-69, Oxipod, Karvol Plus, Cloben-G, Glychek, Tuspel Plus, Carmicide and Atherochek.
2. SPADE : It is the second largest division, mainly focused on General Practioners, Consulting Physicians, Paediatricians and Gynaecologists. It also covers wide therapeutic areas like Anti-Cold, Anti-Infectives, Haematinics, Analgesics, Anti-Diabetics, Calcium & vitamins supplements. The star brands include Febrex Plus, ATM, Febrex, Methycal, GMT-SR and Aloha-XT.
3. SURGE-RADIUS: It is a speciality care division catering to Diabetologists, Cardiologists, General Surgeons & Orthopaedis and has a set of chronic therapy products like diabetic and cardiac products as well as acute therapy products like analgesics and antibiotics. The star brands include CAL-AID, Prichek, Prichek-M, Amchek-AT, Amchek and Bactogard.
4. WARREN: It is a specialty division of Indoco, catering to mainly Dentists, Ophthalmologists, ENTs & Dermatologists across the country. It has an all India presence. The therapeutic areas it covers are Anti-Hypersensitive-Toothpastes, Anti-Bacterial–Mouthwashes and Gels, Antibiotic Eye-drops, Oral Antibiotics and Anaesthetic injections. Recently, Warren has introduced some innovative products like Sensoform HK for dentine hypersensitivity and Kidodent Mouthwash for cavity prevention in kids. The star brands include Sensodent-K, Sensodent-KF, Sensoform, Rexidin, Lignox and Dentogel.
5. WARREN-EXCEL: It is an offshoot of Warren division and is mainly launched to strengthen the Company’s presence with Ophthalmologists, ENTs & GPs. This division includes products in major therapeutic segments like topical Anti-Infectives, Anti-Infectives with Steroids, Tear Substitutes, NSAIDs, Mydriatics & Cycloplegics.
6. SPERA : It is a division carved out of the main division, 'Indoco'. This division is present in the South and West India and focuses on GPs, Gynaecologists, Paediatricians and CPs. Spera is also being given the opportunity to exclusively promote brands like Cital, Scabex, Triz & Carmicide which otherwise were second line for the main division. Other promising brands are Speraflox, Sperogest & Speroxate.
Awards and achievement:
1. Indoco is ranked 22nd as per the prescription audit of ORG-IMS (October 2009) and enjoys a good reputation in Indian market.
2. It has world class manufacturing facilities, which have been approved by US-FDA, UK-MHRA, Darmstadt-Germany, ANVISA-Brazil & MCC South Africa.
3. GOA PLANT I :
• The Solid Dosage Forms and Externals Facility received the IDMA Quality Excellence Awards 2008 - Silver Award, for the third time.
• The Solid Dosage Forms and Externals Facility received the IDMA Quality Excellence Awards 2003 - Formulations - Gold Award, second time since commissioned in 1997.
4. GOA PLANT II : • The Sterile Facility received the IDMA Quality Excellence Awards 2008 - Gold Award, for the third time.
• The Sterile Facility for Injectibles and Ophthalmics received the IDMA Quality Excellence Awards 2003 - Formulations - Silver Award.