Merck Limited (formerly E. Merck Limited) was set up in India in 1967; It was the first Merck Group company in Asia.
Merck Limited went public in 1981 and was the first Merck Group company to do so. The Merck Group now holds 51% of the share capital of Merck Limited, while the remaining 49% is publicly traded on the Bombay Stock Exchange Ltd. and the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd. Number of employees is nearly 1800; including close to 600 associates (as of December 22, 2008).
Merck is a global pharmaceutical and chemical enterprise with around 33,000 employees in 59 countries and total revenues of around Euro 7.6 billion (2008). It is the world’s oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company – its roots date back to 1668.
Merck’s state-of-the-art Galenic and Analytical Development Laboratory in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra enables it to react faster to market demands, have better quality control and ensure world-class formulations by developing in-house various galenic forms like tablets, capsules, injections, syrups, dry powders, creams, etc.
The Merck India Charitable Trust Scholarship Programme was established in 2005 to provide financial aid to economically disadvantaged students in India to continue with their higher education. Following a contribution of Rs. 30 million to the corpus by Merck, the Trust has financed the education of over 100 students since its inception.
Merck India’s manufacturing site located at Ponda, Goa commenced its operations in 1983. Spread across nearly 150,000 sq metres, it has facilities for pharmaceutical as well as chemical manufacturing. In addition to manufacturing injectables and soft gel capsules, Merck India is also the largest manufacturer of Vitamin E in the country and the only manufacturer of Guaiazulene, Thiamine Disulphide and Oxynex ST for Merck worldwide. Goa’s new Dehydrated Culture Media plant is the first outside Germany.
Millipore India Private Limited was incorporated in 1986 as a joint venture with Millipore Corporation, USA and became a 100% subsidiary of Millipore Corporation in 2009. Millipore was acquired by Merck Chemicals in 2010, March.
The company in May 2009 offered to buy back equity shares with face value of Rs 10 up to an amount of Rs 45.11 crore being not more than 10% of the total paid up capital and free reserves at a maximum price not exceeding Rs 435 a share.
In 2010 Merck KGaA and sanofi-aventis sign Agreement to Jointly Investigate Novel Combinations Against Cancer.
In 2013 Merck Millipore India Announced its Partnership with Toshvin Analytical Pvt. Ltd. for Lab Water Purification SystemsProduct range
The company has both pharmaceuticals and chemicals operations.