UCO bank formerly known as United Commercial Bank, incorporated on 6th of January 1943. It was vision of Mr. G.D Birla to form a truly Indian Bank which came into reality after 'Quit India' movement. The bank has headquartered in Kolkata.
It got nationalised in the year 1969 and 100% ownership was taken over by Government in the bank. After this lot of changes took over in banking activities such as it started its branch expansion in fast pace especially in rural areas and it also went through organisational restructuring. This resulted in functional specialisation and decentralization of administration.
In 1985 the name of bank was changed to UCO Bank. Presently it has a network of over 2000 branches, over 370 ATMs, and 35 regional offices across country as well as in Singapore and Hong Kong.
It was honoured with “National Awards for Excellence in Lending to Micro Enterprises” for its excellent performance in lending to micro enterprises from Government of India and Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises.